In the three main elements of an SEO campaign, this final OffPage SEO factor can be considered as a job requiring gray matter, investment, experience as well as a solid background knowledge to be able to bring good result for a website on SERPs.
I find newbies to be very embarrassing when approaching SEO, especially in OffPage SEO. These concepts, terms, operations are very easily confused. This article will provide you with OffPage SEO guidelines in detail, with easy-to-understand explanatory and simple illustration to visualize.
What Is OffPage SEO?
OffPage SEO is the process by which you promote your website by building quality links from websites to other IP addresses pointing to your website, conducting marketing for your website. On popular social media channels such as Facebook, Google+, Twitter … from which your site is well known, with high traffic, more interest, more links pointing to. By adopting algorithms and built-in criteria, Google will understand that your site is truly quality, providing valuable information to users and that rankings will increase on the SERPs.
With that definition, it can be said OffPage SEO includes a lot of factors, techniques, operations that you need to find out. In the thousands of websites in the same domain, trading a product category, only 1 top 1 position and 10 positions in the top 10 appear on page rankings. So the elements of OffPage SEO that I will go into the details below will be the factors that you need to master and step by step to make good OffPage SEO can be successful for your website.
What Is Backlink?
A backlink is a link (URL) that another website points to your website. It is the bridge between your website and other websites. For example, there is a website B that links to website A, when the Google Search Engine crawls on it, it will follow that link to find website A.
A few notes to understand the link:
- Any link has a source page and a landing page.
- Each different backlink will have a different URL path, different URL is another backlink.
You can read this article to find out more: Internal Link Building Techniques In SEO
1. The Importance of Backlinks
I am sure you are familiar with the motto of the SEO profession that ‘Content is King, Backlink is Queen‘.
Indeed, in SEO, both factors are important and complementary to each other. I am extremely fond of, and my direction is definitely content, trying to use my own writing skills, hire a person (if in my capacity) and improving my technical knowledge to be able to create quality content. And besides, I also have strategies to create backlinks suitable to promote the content that I have invested.
Brian Dean – Founder of Backlinko conducted a campaign to analyze 1 million Google Search results and updated the latest statistics on 26/01/2016. We all know this time around Google has updated. Panda 4.0 algorithm and there are a lot of rumors about the sudden change of keyword rankings by Google Penguin update (I’ll talk about Panda and Penguin later for you). And some people do SEO, from here more and more strongly believe that ‘Backlink is out of time’. The affirmation and the first conclusion in Brian Dean’s 1 million results analysis campaign will give you the answer:
As a result of this analysis, it can be seen that the number of Referring Page and Domain links to your site, or simply the number and quality of backlinks is always an essential and important factor to help you get high rankings.
- 6 Forms Of Content To Develop When Making Money With Amazon Niche Sites
- 3 Main Types Of Content You Need To Know When Blogging
- Efficient Support Tools For Content Marketing
The importance of backlink, as I said, you have a quality content site, like you are a candidate for a certain election. Then, the backlinks will be the votes, help you rise to the top position to reach. So based on the number and quality of other sites evaluating your site through the link, Google will evaluate whether your site is eligible for high rankings.
2. Distinguish Dofollow and Nofollow Backlink
This is the image I used a very famous tool Ahrefs to test and analyze the number of backlinks of any site. As you can easily see the site has total backlinks is 931 links. However, in these 931 links, there are two types, one is Dofollow Links: 926 links, almost absolute. The other is a type called Nofollow Links for only 5 links (1% of total backlinks).
Nofollow Backlink is an HTML property that uses the #rel Meta tag provided by Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s Webspam team and Jason Shellen from Blogger.com, on January 18, 2005.
Normally, when you have a link from another website pointing to your website, the Google search bugs will search from the top down, and when the link comes up and nofollow tag is tagged, it will follow to find your website.
This is an attribute that allows search engines to crawl your site, which will crawl all the other links you handily set up on your site (Internal Link), which is great to increase prestige and quality for your website with Google rating.
A few notes about Dofollow and Nofollow Backlink:
- Sample HTML code for the default Nofollow and Dofollow attribute links:
<a href=”http://abc.com” rel=”nofollow”>Keyword</a>
<a href=”http://abc.com” rel=”dofollow”>Keyword</a>
If you check the link and find that the link does not have a rel = “dofollow” tag, do not misunderstand it’s a nofollow link, by default it is not assigned to the rel = “dofollow” or rel = “nofollow” attribute. This is considered a Dofollow link.
- Once you understand the concept of these two types of backlink properties, we need to consider how they work and should be used.
- Although the Nofollow attribute causes the search bubble to ignore and not access that link, it is for the reason. Firstly, you can not completely use Dofollow, which naturally causes Google to think that you are trying to spam the site for rankings. Secondly, nofollow links you use will help search engines ignore pages with unnecessary content on your site and help the bugs to focus on the main content in your site.
- About the Dofollow attribute, it will help declare the SE search spell that this link has a high credibility and reference value. You should be clever to use it for the Internal Link link to the article with relevant content in the site will be good for SEO.
- Although Nofollow does not allow search engines to find your site, it still gives you a good source of traffic from the outside if you are smart to use. And in Google Search Console still update backlink for Nofollow Backlink, not to count it as Backlink so you do not think Nofollow is useless.
- According to the foreign documents we studied, the good Do-No ratio is 7 Do: 3 No. You should do naturally which I also still prefer to do it.
Install Extension Browser Supports Checking Nofollow and Dofollow Links
I do not usually care about this problem because I’m used to checking by my hand. However, if you are new, you may be interested in some of the following Extension to install in the browser. Check features of these extensions will most likely: Highlight red print or dash the Nofollow link or red frame for Nofollow link.
About this, I see that Firefox has many nice extensions, but I’m using Chrome so I will introduce more about Chrome’s extensions.
- Check by hands: choose the link and then select the right mouse click Inspect the path that it is, the default path of the Nofollow and Dofollow that I introduced above.
For example I want to check a link as follows:
You can easily see that this is a Dofollow backlink, which does not have the rel = “nofollow” attribute attached to the link.
- Install Nofollow Simple in the Chrome Extension repository: Extensions of this type are many, also light. I choose this because it is ok and easy for you to see. Once you install and enable it then access on any site to check it.
Check out the home page, you can see the link located in the right-hand column is the Nofollow link, the extension that framed red border to see what is linking Nofollow, very easy to see.
- SEOQuake: This is so common then, I see a lot of users because it has many features. With SEOQuake, the Nofollow links will highlight to you the display by crossing out the Nofollow attribute links. You have time to self-explore offline.
Some Indicators Should Be Noted On A Website When Doing Offpage SEO
1. PageRank (PR)
If you wander the SEO discussion forum you will see people sharing or sharing high PR sites to go backlinks, people will see the headlines like ‘Share list web 2.0, a forum has PR index from 4.5 or more’. What is this PR index that people are so interested in?
- PageRank is a link analysis algorithm. The PageRank index using the check engine will display an integer between 0 and 10.
- When some of you install the PR check tool, you will see the display as PR = n/a or PR = 0. PR is 0, meaning that it has a PR rating of 0, not unavailable, and PR = n/a is Google not updated or it has not have a PR.
- From 2013, Google has issued a notice to stop updating this PR index due to the excessive spam status of the SEOers.
- PageRank is determined by links to a website and outbound links to the site. It should be easy to understand why the ‘Boss’ site like Google, Facebook, YouTube, etc are all PR 9.
- PageRank affects the results displayed on the SER, however, PR is only 1 in 200+ factors affecting the SERP.
I want to say here, you do not need to care about PR too much. A website without PR can still rank higher on the SERP than the ones with PR 5 or 6. You can search Google for any keyword you want and confirm what I say.
2. Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA)
- Domain Authority (DA) is an index provided by SEOMoz (moz.com) to determine the trust and strength of a domain or website.
- Unlike the DA, Page Authority (PA) only counts for one page, and the DA counts for the whole website.
- Factors to determine the DA value of a website:
- Domain Age: A domain age is a time from the day you create the domain until the present time. The higher the domain age, the higher search engine rating, trust and positive impact on the DA.
- Domain Popularity: The number and quality of backlinks is a measure of the popularity of a website. And of course, if your backlink number is high and they come from many reputable domains then this is great. It would be better than many of backlinks come from just a few domains.
- Domain Size: If your website is bigger, that means more pages are indexed, the DA will be improved and the domain size is better. And if your website has a clever Internal Link integration, it will impact well to the domain size. Want to do so? Trying to invest in creating quality and diversing content for your site.
3. How to check the DA and PA of a website
- To check the DA and PA of any website you access, you can use the Addon MozBar. It is available in both Firefox and Chrome, you can search and install easily.
- Once installed and enable, you try visiting any website and will see the bar that displays PA and DA of it for you.
- DA and PA of a website are 15 or above so it is considered a good one.
The Criteria Of A High-quality Link
I will list the criteria for you to consider and choose when backlink, to create high-quality links:
- Indexed source page: As I said from the beginning, every link has a source page and a landing page. Assuming you create a backlink on a website but it is not indexed and not in Google’s data, so the backlink you create to point to your website is completely meaningless.
- The PR of the source page is bigger than 1, DA and PA of the source page are high:
- About PR index, because Google is no longer updated public PR so maybe if you use SEOQuake or check with other tools, you will see PR = n/a. This is not important, with the knowledge of OnPage and OffPage SEO, you can fully recognize whether this site is prestigious and qualified to make links pointing back or not.
- DA and PA, as I said, guaranteed from 15 or above to have good value.
- The number of links on the source page:
- Firstly, when you want to put a backlink on any website, you need to see if the site is marked as spam by Google. Currently, there are many sites selling links, put a terrible number of text links. Google hates that. You will easily meet the news that after the Google update Penguin, many sites are out. Of course, your site is also seriously affected.
- The link on the source page is the external link, the link that the site points out. With backlink knowledge I have provided, let’s think, the value of your site is level A, which has dozens of links to other sites on the home page, so how much is the value of your site? And this is the clearest sign that Google is negatively paying attention to your site. So, choosing sites that have source links to other sites smaller than 5 links are appropriate.
- To check this, in the process of doing SEO, I only install 2 Add-ons that are very ok: Open SEO Stats and MozBar. Install these 2 Add-ons to practice along with my tutorial.
- Open SEO Stats: to check a lot of information of a website when you visit include Site Info, Links Info, Traffic, IP, etc.
- MozBar: a tool of the world-famous SEO company com, used to check the PA and DA. This tool is very convenient when you have just visited any site you want to analyze.
- IP of the source page
- The content and theme of the source page: The content and theme of the source page must be related to the field of your website, which is called Context. This is what Google is most interested in and also the most attention to the current trend of SEO.
- Website type of source page (news, forum, directory…)
- Anchor text of the link.
- Dofollow or Nofollow?
- Is it difficult to link, do website owners confirm or not?
- How the status page works, the content is updated regularly and not copy or not.