This is the second and final article of the OnPage SEO Guidelines in Detail series. Read Part 1 HERE.
3. Title, Meta Description & Heading H1-H6 Optimization
A Title Tag has a title for the site and a title for the article. A good, optimized, and effective Title Tag for SEO will guarantee the following criteria:
- Title length of 65-70 characters including blank spaces.
- The title is distinguish for each page.
- Short, obvious and pop-up-the-main-content title. And starting a title with the main keyword is a very good option.
Meta Description optimization
Similar to Title, Meta Description is always associated with the title, and it will also be optimized when you ensure the following requirements:
- Meta Description tag length is 140-155 characters.
- Brief, concise, attractive, contains keywords and highlights the issues that users need.
- Optimal CTR.
Efficient use of Heading tags H1-H6 to support Onpage optimization for posts
These Heading tags are intended to help you emphasize the content and the importance of headlines through different fonts, sizes, colours, and boldness that you can customize to your liking via the Themes Option of Premium WordPress Themes.
- Important keywords should be included in tags H1 and H2.
- Each page should only use one H1 tag, one H2 tag and multiple H3, H4, H5 tags depending on the content distribution.
- I usually use the H1 tag for the article title.
THIS WORDPRESS PLUGIN IS FOR YOU WP Tag Machine 2.0 Review – Secret SEO Technique For Higher Rankings
4. A Few Notes Of Content Optimization For The Page
In this article, I just list a few notes for you when optimizing the contents of the page. Always make sure you write well and Google and your users love your content.
- Always keep in mind, write content for users, not for search engines. There are a lot of people who use content hiding, cloaking, content rendering for their own bugs and for their own users. This is not recommended. Because of any unlawful behavior you use, Google will always be sophisticated in detecting and eliminating it immediately.
- Ensure the keywords contained in the Title and the Meta Description.
- Keywords should appear in H1 or H2 Heading tags and also in the first 100 characters of the article.
- Keyword density is the percentage of the occurrences number of a word or a keyword phrase compared to the total number of words displayed on your site. The keyword density of a page should be 1-5%. Absolutely not cramming, insert thousands of keywords into your site, you will be marked as spam right away.
5. Optimize Images On Your Site
The search engine reads only text and is not able to read the image content. Now, the hot trend is that Google strongly encourages and favors articles that invest image content, infographic, etc… SE will read your image content through text content that you fill in the ALT tag and image file name. Image file name should be saved as keywords and those words separated by hyphens.
Note, always name the image file before uploading. While uploading, enter the keyword to the ALT tag.
File Title: dont-be-a-copycat.jpg
Optimal path structure for an image file: <img src=”Image link” alt=”Describe the image content” </img>
6. Use URLs That Are Friendly With Users And Search Engines
URLs will appear in the address bar when you visit any page on the site. They should be easy to understand and contain keywords.
There are dashes “-” instead of blank spaces. If you use WordPress, you just go to Settings -> Permalinks and tick the type of post name and it is done.
7. System Files – robots.txt and sitemap.xml
What is a Robots.txt File?
If Onpage SEO is optimizing for the surface and structure of your home, this Robots.txt file is a gatekeeper, allowing the search engine to find and penetrate here. Robots.txt is a simple text file with a .txt extension, placed in the root of the horizontal website with the index.php file.
This file contains navigable commands that make website administration more convenient for setting up crawler access, which pages should be indexed and which pages do not need to be indexed.
A simple robots.txt file creation instruction for OnPage website optimization
The robots.txt file is very simple, you can use the Notepad built into the computer to create it. The file format of WordPress is as follows:
Interpretation of attributes:
User-agent: * means that all search engines from SE (Google, Yahoo and Bing) should use this guide to search your site.
Disallow: /wp-: This line of code tells the search engine that it should not be indexed in WordPress files starting with wp-.
You just create the file with the structure as above and upload to the folder of the website so that finished.
What is a Sitemap?
A sitemap is a diagram of the Website including images, content, data, … that make it easy for users and Google Bot to perform quick searches to find the information they need as well as easily move the entire site via links available on your website.
The mission of Sitemap is to make search engines crawl your website effectively and update the changes on it.
Instructions for creating Sitemaps for your site
Step 1: Make sure your website has the Yoast SEO plugin installed.
Step 2: Visit Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tool), It is a free Google tool but very useful for managing your blog. You must add a sitemap of your site to Google Search Console for Google to recognize, this job is not mandatory but it makes indexing and ranking the site more accurate and faster.
Step 3: Enter Search Console -> Crawl -> Sitemaps.
In the right corner, go to ADD/TEST SITEMAP.
Enter sitemap_index.xml and then click Submit.
Then you are tracking your sitemap situation about indexing notifications, indexing, indexing errors.
8. Build Internal Links
Internal Link is considered a backlink pointing to another page on your website.
Internal Links of the website, if well optimized, will help reduce the bounce rate, keep users on your site longer, make them click on many useful links, and increase website rankings.
Several methods of building effective internal links:
- Build rich content for the site
- Diversify anchor text
- Select internal links that bring useful information to your readers
In addition, the menu system and links in the footer section of the site are also the internal backlinks pointing to the main page in the site. I do not have a specific number of how many internal links you need for a post, my point is to leave everything natural, as long as it provides useful information to people.
9. Page Load Speed
I do not know about you, but for me, when accessing a website link, not to mention the internet access factor, I look at the loading circle of the interface then I want to come out immediately and do not want to enter that page anymore.
Since then I realized the importance of optimizing page load speed to minimize the escaping rate and help to create a sense of comfort initially for the visitors to the website.
Page Load Speed should be less than 4 seconds is considered the best today.
Free page load testing tools:
PageSpeed Insight Accelerator:
- Regularly clean junk and no longer used images in Media Library.
- Use the WP Super Cache plugin, the best free plugin to support WordPress website acceleration with caching technology for small and medium websites, namely using the HTML Cache method.
Basically, the article covers the issues that need to be considered when optimizing Onpage for the website. In the process of practice and long-term search on SEO, you will discover other tips to apply for SEO Onpage to be more professional.
Hope this will be a complete and useful Onpage SEO knowledge handbook for you, especially for newbie. If there is a problem, please leave a comment below to discuss it with me.